[Enigmail] Wrap text before sending?

Andrew Ferguson owsla at princeton.edu
Wed Aug 11 18:05:13 EDT 2004

Hi -

First off, I'm a (pretty) happy Enigmail user on Thunderbird in Mac OS
X. My only problem is the miserable way it rewraps messages when
sending. I've disabled everything to do with format=flowed (including in
user.js), but it still produces output like this:

> OK, don't bother us with the error then, but the IPC package is the core
> of engmime. You won't get very far without it. IPC handles passing info
> back and forth from Mozilla to gpg.

Thunderbird can do much better. Simply doing Edit->Rewrap before I send
the message fixes it, as you can see:

> OK, don't bother us with the error then, but the IPC package is the
> core of engmime. You won't get very far without it. IPC handles
> passing info back and forth from Mozilla to gpg.

But I don't want to have to remember to do this every time I want to
send a message. So, I propose the following fix:

After line 1074 in enigmailMsgComposeOverlay.js add:

if (!(sendFlags & ENIG_ENCRYPT)) {
  var editor = gMsgCompose.editor.QueryInterface(nsIPlaintextEditorMail);
  editor.wrapWidth=wrapWidth-2; // prepare for the worst case: a 72
				// char's long line starting with '-'
  editor.rewrap(false);
}

This is basically a copy & paste of the code 15 lines higher that
rewraps the message if it's an HTML e-mail and wrapHtmlBeforeSend is set
in the preferences. For that matter, there could be a wrapTextBeforeSend
if needed.

Could a developer look at / think this over? I'd really appreciate if
Enigmail did proper text wrapping for non-format=flowed mail. I can work
this up into a proper patch and test it if somebody with more experience
gives the ok. This is my first Mozilla-type work so I haven't setup a
build/testing environment of my own.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Ferguson - owsla at princeton.edu