[Enigmail] Help - Signature Signing Output

John Clizbe John at Mozilla-Enigmail.org
Tue Jul 1 15:46:26 PDT 2008

Barry Jefferson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just realized a grave mistake i have been making when it comes to
> security of a public/private key being disclosed on a signed message.
>
> I have looked allover on the setting on Mozilla Thunderbird and OpenPGP
> and see no way of editing the output of a signed signature please can
> someone help as i just can't find the settings and i don't want to have
> to change a signed signature every time i send a message, its really is
> going to get irritating.

If you're mucking about with the message after signing but before sending, why
are you using Enigmail?

Enigmail's signing and encryption are designed to be after you are done
composing and click Send. The message is then processed by GnuPG and sent to the
mail server - there is no intermediate step where you have access to the signed
and/or encrypted message.

Other than that, there is *no* setting in Enigmail that will automatically
include your key, and certainly nothing as bone-headed as including a private
key.  Looking at those messages, it would appear that those key blocks are being
included from a file as a prepackaged signature block. On the main tab of an
account's settings is the option to attach a file as a signature. I suspect this
is your problem.

--
John P. Clizbe                      Inet:   John (a) Mozilla-Enigmail.org
You can't spell fiasco without SCO. hkp://keyserver.gingerbear.net  or