[Enigmail] honor-keyserver-url doesn't appear to work

Troy ussenterprise at babylonfarms.com
Sat Jun 14 00:30:15 PDT 2008

John Clizbe wrote:
> Troy wrote:
>> I seem to have run into a problem with --honor-keyserver-url
>
> Yeah, looks like either a CKBI* problem or maybe an issue in GnuPG. Try
> including it in gpg.conf along with any other keyserver-options.

This was my gpg.conf file prior to using Mepis (linux) and the current
gpg.conf.
comment http://www.babylonfarms.com/secure/0xF8180E9E_pub.asc
default-key  F8180E9E
default-recipient-self
keyserver-options auto-key-retrieve honor-keyserver-url import-clean
export-clean
enable-dsa2
default-preference-list s9 s8 s7 s4 s3 s2 s10 h8 h11 h10 h9 h3 z2 z1
personal-cipher-preferences s9 s8 s7 s4 s3 s2 s10
personal-digest-preferences h8 h11 h10 h9 h3
personal-compress-preferences z2 z1
ask-cert-level
no-greeting
no-mdc-warning
trust-model pgp
expert
verbose
this is the only new entry:
keyserver  hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net

> It ain't automagic according to the man page:

agreed, however Enigmail is over riding the gpg.conf with/without the
new entry with pool.sks-keyservers.net according to the output.

> Often if you wish an explicit behavior you must explicitly set it.

It is, and has been.

> BTW, this is really a GnuPG config issue not an Enigmail issue. If you think
> GnuPG's behavior is broken, post to GnuPG-Users or GnuPG-Dev.

I would have thought so too, had it not worked using the CLI.
If the added gpg.conf information still supports your direction I will
gladly do that.

> FWIW, you should probably also update the keyservers as there is no guarantee
> you can force others to obey this preference. I tend to turn it off since i have
> a keyserver on my local LAN.

Yes, I should probably give up the server begets spam mentality but old
habits are hard to break, plus the key started getting loaded down with
pgp sigs from when I used their keyserver as well :)

Thanks for the help

Troy