[Enigmail] Setting which Hash Algorithm

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Mon Jun 23 10:23:57 PDT 2008

Robert J. Hansen wrote the following on 6/23/08 12:52 PM:
> Charly Avital wrote:
>> I would like Enigmail to use the digest-algo  [value] I set in
>> gpg.conf.
>
> Enigmail has no influence over your cipher and algorithm settings.  We
> use what you've told GnuPG to use.

I must have misunderstood a previous statement:
'Enigmail knows *nothing* of the options in gpg.conf.'

> The only exception to this is
> .mimeHashAlgorithm, which is only used for PGP/MIME messages.

> Most of the time when people want SHA-1 but are getting SHA-256, it's
> the result of a DSA2 signing key which requires more than a 160-bit hash
> algorithm for signing.

The key that I had set in TB+EM Accounts Settings/OpenPGP Security, and
that I was trying to use is a 1024 bits RSA key:

$ gpg --edit-key 94FD1621
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.9; Copyright (C) 2008 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Secret key is available.

pub  1024R/94FD1621  created: 2006-11-25  expires: 2010-06-22  usage: SC
                     trust: ultimate      validity: ultimate
sub  1024R/142CF1A3  created: 2006-11-25  expires: 2010-06-22  usage: E
[ultimate] (1). Charly Avital (Test2) <shavital at mac.com>

That key is correctly selected and used with the OpenPGP card, when I
use Apple's Mail+GPGMail.bundle.

TB+EM does not, apparently.

Thank you for your feedback.
Charly