[Enigmail] Setting which Hash Algorithm

Charly Avital shavital at mac.com
Mon Jun 23 11:04:35 PDT 2008

Robert J. Hansen wrote the following on 6/23/08 1:40 PM:
> Charly Avital wrote:
>> I must have misunderstood a previous statement:
>> 'Enigmail knows *nothing* of the options in gpg.conf.'
>
> No, you've understood it correctly.
>
> Enigmail doesn't know anything about your gpg.conf.  Enigmail doesn't
> make any choices about hash algorithms.  If something needs to be
> hashed, Enigmail gives it to GnuPG and says "here, hash this, you figure
> out what algorithms to use."
>
> If something needs to be signed, Enigmail gives it to GnuPG and says
> "here, sign this, here's the key ID to use, you figure out what
> algorithms to use."
>
> Etc., etc.  Thus, by handing everything off to GnuPG and letting _it_
> worry about things, both statements are true.  It is both true that:
>
> * Enigmail does whatever GnuPG does
> * Enigmail knows nothing about your gpg.conf file

Problem solved.

In prefs.js, I edited the line:

user_pref("extensions.enigmail.mimeHashAlgorithm", 3);

to read

user_pref("extensions.enigmail.mimeHashAlgorithm", 0);

(as indicated by "John W. Moore III" <jmoore3rd at bellsouth.net> in a

Now Enigmail uses
digest-algo SHA1  (as set in gpg.conf - before the above change,
Enigmail used SHA256, no matter what).

It does so in *in-line* signed messages, as I have tested.

And when I choose the account where I have set the smart card key,
pinentry-mac is invoked, asking to enter the PIN (not the passphrase
itself) for that key.

I have learned from W. Koch that 2K OpenPGP cards should be available
this fall. Till then, I shall be using SHA256, after I reset the
required parameters. Using the card was for learning purposes only.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Charly