[Greasemonkey] Watering Smoldering Flames Out in the Real World

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:13:34 EST 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 12:47 PM, Bill Donnelly <donnelly at snowcrest.net> wrote:

> People are making an awful big 'to do' about Greasemonkey and what it
> can do and is being used for. As well they should. But what I'm talking
> about are the "Doom and Gloom" and "negative" comments and predictions
> and such. Let's face it, no matter how popular Greasemonkey gets, at
> BEST, maybe 10% to 25% of Firefox users will use it. MAYBE 50%, but
> probably not.

In current incarnation, maybe.  But user scripting and the hackable
web is clearly becoming more popular.  Yes, I agree, Tilly will never
install a user script.  That's not much the point, to me.  There're
user scripts on Opera (core) and IE (toolbar).  This is important
stuff.

>http://dream.sims.berkeley.edu/~ryanshaw/wordpress/2005/02/18/greasemonkey-stole-your-job-and-your-business-model/?nofix=nofix

Well, I, for one, welcome ad-based services, because I have broadband
and am sighted, and generally don't find most ads too annoying.  I
block only the most eggregarious ads.  GoogleAds aren't even on my
radar.   The fact that I'll basically never buy anything from any of
them is a small irony.  I don't buy lotto tickets, either.

How long until DVR kills ad-based TV?  That's certainly going
mainstream (in middle-class America, anyway).