[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 01:08:39 EDT 2005

> - Why a browser-high bar when all the information is contained in an icon?

Good point. Originally I was going to do something with that space,
but I scrapped it.

> - How're you going to determine which scripts are available for this
> page?  You don't want to make a request to some central server per
> page, but the only other option is to cache all possible script
> @includes.

The idea was del.icio.us. I hadn't considered performance. Probably
Joshua wouldn't appreciate every gm install hitting his site every
page load.

What do you mean by "cache all possible script includes"?

> - I can't help but think replicating the extension manager is
> duplicated effort, but I can't propose anything better.  (Can you make
> Greasemonkey into a tool that autogenerates extensions or something?)

I don't intend to duplicate extension manager, except by stealing a
tiny bit of it's visual language. GM won't support autoupdate,
versioning, etc, etc.

Autogenerating extensions is an idea that has been considered quite
often, but I keep coming back to the idea that extensions just feel
heavy and non-hackable. I want you to be able to just open the sidebar
and start writing.