[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:13:12 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 1:05 PM, Scott R. Turner <srt at aero.org> wrote:
> I think the whole idea is kind of pointless.
>
> First of all, if I want to find scripts for a page, a button on the UI
> that takes me to some central script repository (ala extensions) would
> be fine.  You don't see anything in the extensions interface that
> offers suggested extensions.

Hmm.  I think user scripts could be a bit more easily built on or
adapted than Extensions.  You need to know the DOM, and that's it.
Extension dev requires a XUL/XPCOM grimoire.
So sharing user scripts makes more sense than sharing extensions.

> Second, if you do offer this "suggested scripts" feature, I think it
> will generate such a large list as to be mostly useless.  True, some
> scripts are for specific pages, but every page is going to suck in all
> the general scripts.  And websites like Google already have many
> scripts available.

Well, a useful point is that the list will be sorted by number of
people linking, so the best float to the top.
To address the clutter issue, we could add the ability to ignore
specific scripts.

But again, to me, the directory is only partly about sharing/finding.
It's also about establishing trust.

> So I'd vote not to bother.  If you do include this, please make it a
> toggle so that people who aren't interested can turn it off.

OK.