[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 14:34:00 EDT 2005

> MB> Is there much value here?  Everybody who writes JavaScript has a
> favorite editor...my guess is they probably don't want to make more than
> trivial edits to a path name or whatever in anything except their favorite
> editor.

It's funny, I actually argued this exact same point when this idea was
first brought up to me. And I have come around.

Really what I want is to make it really, really fast and easy to start
a new script or hack on an existing one (either one of yours, or one
from the web). This can be done in both an inline editor and an
external one.

The main benefit of the inline editor is that it's the fastest
possible way to just start hacking. An external editor, even
prepopulated with the template is one more application that has to
open and one level of indirection that makes it seem more complicated;
clunkier. An inline editor is right there.  Also, you can do really
neat things that make it even easier for new javascripters, like
intellisense/autocomplete ala JS Console. (I can hear the groans now).

But you do make a good point. And the space concerns persist. I was
right in the middle of a horizontally layed out attempt. I'll try one
that opens an external editor/editor in it's own winodw.