[Greasemonkey] Backups and sharing GM installs on multiplemachines

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Tue Apr 5 15:07:14 EDT 2005

>> I am an advanced programmer but a novice at Javascript.  I did not know,
until this thread, that un-"var"ed Javascript variables are global.  That's
nice to know, but it's not GM's place to catch that or try to save me from
my ignorance. <<

MB> I agree--GM shouldn't try to save the programmer. GM isn't a
programmer's tool (IMHO).  But as GM becomes used by users who don't know
how to debug badly written scripts, it could look out for some things like
misbehaved variables and give the user a heads up that there may be a
problem with the script.  Otherwise, users will be forced to either trust
scripts or walk through and understand every line of code for every script
they use.  That's a risky proposition.

Michael