[Greasemonkey] Backups and sharing GM installs on multiplemachines

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 18:28:51 EDT 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 5:07 PM, Michael Bierman <greasemonkey at thebiermans.net> wrote:
> >> I am an advanced programmer but a novice at Javascript.  I did not know,
> until this thread, that un-"var"ed Javascript variables are global.  That's
> nice to know, but it's not GM's place to catch that or try to save me from
> my ignorance. <<
>
> MB> I agree--GM shouldn't try to save the programmer. GM isn't a
> programmer's tool (IMHO).  But as GM becomes used by users who don't know
> how to debug badly written scripts, it could look out for some things like
> misbehaved variables and give the user a heads up that there may be a
> problem with the script.

Crashing GM scripts already dump errors to the Javascript console.
Give GM script authors a way to easily dump informational messages to
the Javascript console (or teach me how to do it, if I can do it
already) without sprinkling alerts all over the place, and move on.

> Otherwise, users will be forced to either trust
> scripts or walk through and understand every line of code for every script
> they use.  That's a risky proposition.

I don't see how this is any different from any other program on Earth.
 Add a line to the config-on-install dialog saying that installing
scripts from sources you don't trust can invade your privacy and
damage your computer (or whatever it is that the extension manager
says when you try to install a real extension).  Anything further than
that is, IMO, a waste of time and will create a false sense of
security.  ("But GM said it was protecting me!")

-Mark