[Greasemonkey] Backups and sharing GM installs on multiplemachines

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Tue Apr 5 15:41:55 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Pilgrim

>> Crashing GM scripts already dump errors to the Javascript console.
Give GM script authors a way to easily dump informational messages to the
Javascript console (or teach me how to do it, if I can do it
already) without sprinkling alerts all over the place, and move on. <<

Fair enough.

> Otherwise, users will be forced to either trust scripts or walk
> through and understand every line of code for every script they use.
> That's a risky proposition.

I don't see how this is any different from any other program on Earth.
 Add a line to the config-on-install dialog saying that installing scripts
from sources you don't trust can invade your privacy and damage your
computer (or whatever it is that the extension manager says when you try to
install a real extension).  Anything further than that is, IMO, a waste of
time and will create a false sense of security.  ("But GM said it was
protecting me!")

You make a somewhat persuasive argument although there aren't that many
things I can think of like GM...you have web developers writing JS that is
often browser dependent or just bad code...now you have GM coming along and
trying to hack the code on the fly (I use the term with love).  Often,
scripts are global--they affect sites that the author of the script can't
imagine...so GM is not really like anything else I can think of (except FF
itself, I guess?)  But the point is well taken that there may be a limit to
how much GM can do in this regard.  Ultimately, I think it would be great if
it were just built into FF--in which case maybe it could do more by tight
integration with the JS interpreter...oh well.

Michael