[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Paul Roub paul at roub.net
Tue Apr 5 21:48:18 EDT 2005

Aaron Boodman wrote:

>I guess I'm crazy. I'm perfectly comfortable writing 10 lines of
>javascript without my favorite editor. On the other hand, I hate
>waiting for an editor to open to write said 10 lines.

Yeah, me too.  Except...

Some scripts are longer than that, and even for the short ones, a decent
editing environment provides so much it's-the-little-things-that-matter
support, and it's really no fun to suddenly lose that.

These days, by day, I'm spending a lot of time working with MS BizTalk.
It's a fairly big chunk of code, often visual in nature, MS's way of
letting you integrate all sorts of otherwise hostile applications.  When
needed, you can call out to pretty much any external libraries you want,
or in certain cases, you can just write short little scripts in the
midst of the environment.

Usually less than 10 lines, even.

And since it's such an inconsequential thing (hey, if the particular job
was complex, I'd be writing a whole C# assembly, blah blah blah), they
just use a standard edit box in the middle of a form.  Hey, I've been
writng C-ish code for 20+ years now.  I can syntax-check my little bitty
code, no problem.  And I only have to deal with that little edit box a
couple of times a week.

And at those times, a little part of me wants to kill everyone involved
with the design of the BizTalk UI.  Just for a moment.  Every time.  No
auto-completion, no smart indents, no help, none of the stuff I normally
have in the Visual Studio IDE; and I don't even *like* Visual Studio's
IDE that much.

Just a thought.  Long day.

-paul