[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Wed Apr 6 01:22:26 EDT 2005

> But there
> is no ideal way for users keep up with improvements, bug fixes, etc.
> with scripts.  That is something GM is ideally suited to provide.
> Again, I'm just talking about notification, not automatic updates.

That's something I'd like the directory to be capable of, which requires
versioning, which requires either a manadatory userscript header (yeah,
right) or a central server.  Do others see an alternate to the central
versioning?

The best alternative I can think of is RSS.  The scripts could be hosted
with an RSS feed or the directory could.  The latter is easier obviously.
When ever there is an update made to the directory, an RSS message would go
out to everyone who asked for an update.  Originally I thought it would be
"cooler" to have the notifications inside GM, but the more I think about it,
this is easier and possibly a lot cleaner.  Again, I'm in favor of keeping
GM as focused on what it does as possible, and not weighing it down with
unnecessary stuff.  This is an ideal RSS application.  I currently use a
poor man's version of this through
http://blog.rootshell.be/urlwatch/index.php which watches the wiki for
changes and notifies me.  RSS would be a better approach.

Michael