[Greasemonkey] UI idea

Scott R. Turner srt at aero.org
Wed Apr 6 11:12:21 EDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Jeremy Dunck wrote:
>> 99.9% of the GM users are never
>> going to edit a script or develop a new script.
>
> Hmm, I hope that number is an overestimate, but I get your
> point. ;-)

Well, there are what, about 20 script authors at the moment.
Hopefully you'll get at least 20K users.  Well, maybe not.

When I did research a few years ago on this topic (user
intermediation), my conclusion was that what you really need is a
browser that lets you edit a web page into a format you like and then
automatically generates a script to repeat those changes in the
future.  For some things ("Delete this element from the page") that's
not too difficult.  In general, of course, it's very hard.  But if you
really want to empower average users to develop "scripts" that's the
sort of thing you ought to be implementing.  (And I think 90% of the
changes users want are pretty straightforward.)

 		-- Scott