[Greasemonkey] Goals for the user script directory (very long)

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 02:49:20 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 1:38 AM, Aaron Boodman <zboogs at gmail.com> wrote:
> And I think that the versions shoud just be numbers. Eg 1, 2, 3. :)
> you could store the date with them for display purposes.

Whole number versions make different versions seem equally important,
but these are user scripts which are generally smaller than
extensions.

The Firefox Version Format (FVF) is: major.minor.release.build[+]
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/extensions/update.html

Versions would probably need only the major.minor support, and
checking versions should be straightforward to code. But then again,
some people could be confused by versions like 3.9 going to 3.10 and
3.11.

About hasing the version, do you mean something like a md5 hash of the
file and version so that someone else couldn't "accidentally" modify
the file and reupload that version without updating the version?

--
Ed