[Greasemonkey] Goals for the user script directory (very long)

Scott R. Turner srt at aero.org
Fri Apr 8 11:52:25 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Jeremy Dunck wrote:
> If you mean that the directory should accept direct submissions of
> scripts (without a source URL), then there are problems; once
> posted, how does a new version of that script get updated?  etc.

Presuming you give people logins, just let the author log in and post
a new version of the script.  Other people can fork it and post their
versions as well.  Isn't this how themes, extensions, etc., all work?

I'm just not sure what the purpose of inventing a whole new way to
deal with what is, after all, a very common task in the browser
world.  Your scheme doesn't seem to have any big benefits, and you're
going to create a "barrier to entry" to everyone who expects scripts
to work like every other add-on.

 	  -- Scott