[Greasemonkey] Installing a user script via a data: url

Julien Couvreur julien.couvreur at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:37:09 EDT 2005

Tony says:
> But when you select "install user script" and confirm the install,
> greasemonkey downloads the page again rather than using what's showing.
> As it downloads the page, it loses the javascript generated code.  I
> imagine the same problem exists for base64 encoded scripts.

I had GreaseMonkey install from a loaded data: page with no problem
(with the patch to enabled the "Install User Script" in the "Tools"
menu). I haven't tried from a data: link.

Aaron says: "Compliments on your system; my head just about exploded
when I decoded a script and saw that it, itself, contained an encoded
image ;-)."

Hehe, thanks. It twisted my head too ;-)

I'm not sure what the size limit is on data: urls, but it seems like
it can fit a lot.

If you can checkin the change that we discussed (enabling the install
from the menu for loaded data: pages, but not from the context menu
for data: links) I'll work some more on the script generation page (to
make it nicer and more usable).
I think the need for customized scripts is important. See for example
http://www.customizegoogle.com/ (but it relies on the server to
generate the user script...).

I have another script generation page in mind: a general text matching
to link (like a simple AutoLink). You would specify the patterns for
ISBN (using a regex) and put some html to have it go to amazon. Same
for UPS/Fedex/...

Cheers,
Julien