[Greasemonkey] Installing a user script via a data: url

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 20:41:03 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 7:23 PM, Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 6:37 PM, Julien Couvreur <julien.couvreur at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what the size limit is on data: urls, but it seems like
> > it can fit a lot.
>
>    The "data:" URL scheme is only useful for short values. Note that
>    some applications that use URLs may impose a length limit

Well, I just tested with Julien's script and it worked fine with a
500KB generated user script. The largest userscript I've written so
far is almost 10KB of code, so 50x more should be more than enough,
and firefox should be able to support more. Perhaps if you wanted to
make it cross browser compatible for something like GreasemonkIE..
there might be problems.

http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/faq.html
"    Microsoft reduces Internet Explorer's support for bookmarklets
with every new version of Internet Explorer. IE5 supported
bookmarklets up to 2083 characters. IE6 limits bookmarklets to 508
characters. IE6 SP2 keeps the 508-character limit and also counts each
space as multiple characters."

--
Ed