[Greasemonkey] The revolutionary nature of user scripts

Korakot Chaovavanich korakot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 00:39:42 EDT 2005

Actually, the potential to make page editable/modifiable has been with Mozilla
for a long time. Since Mozilla is open-source, anyone can modify it to display
any page differently.

What's different is that, now firefox make it easy to write extensions.
And now GM even make it easier to write userscript.
The scale of difficulty to modify a page has changed progressively and
dramatically.
Moz. Source > Extension > User scripts > ???

Many features of Firefox are first experimented by extensions.
Likewise, I expect many extensions could be implemented by GM userscripts.
In the future, another type of modification (yet easier than userscripts) will
be invented to enable any user to create modification easily (just like editing
a wiki). I look forwards to such invention and new mechanism to sharing.

Korakot Chaovavanich