[Greasemonkey] The revolutionary nature of user scripts

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:19:28 EDT 2005

On Apr 10, 2005 11:39 AM, Korakot Chaovavanich <korakot at gmail.com> wrote:
> The scale of difficulty to modify a page has changed progressively and
> dramatically.
> Moz. Source > Extension > User scripts > ???

Yeah, it's also making things easy to modify for a web based game.
I've written extensions to do the same thing, but user scripts just
makes it that much easier to implement, especially with the addition
of GM_xmlhttpRequest. With that I'm able to do a distributed data
collection that parses the game pages from multiple users and send
that information back to my server.

But then I gave a class talk about the ethics of these greasemonkey
scripts such as the hosts wanting to display such and such while
clients modify it to do "enhanced" operations.. which could easily
break a web based game if scripts were made to cheat/bypass instead of
calculating/reorganizing data.

So what comes next after user scripts? There have been several people
making dynamic user scripts that input certain user defined values
into a templated user script. How high level will things go? Perhaps a
user script that runs on every page that allows the user to generate
more user scripts by clicking on certain elements to remove document
elements. <Activate click to remove>, <click page element>, page
element is automatically removed on pages from that site..

--
Ed