[Greasemonkey] Goals for the user script directory (very long)

Scott R. Turner srt at aero.org
Mon Apr 11 11:37:17 EDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005, Steve Krulewitz wrote:
> I think Jeremy is trying to create something that follows the
> current trend of decentralization.  People are moving away from
> centralized publishing (forums, usenet) and moving towards
> decentralized publishing (blogs) that are tied together by other
> services (delicious, technorati, etc).

I'd be interested to hear of any software development that does not
have a central repository!  Blogs, RSS, delicious, etc., are all great
but they are not a good model for software development.  And they're a
*terrible* model from the standpoint of a user who just wants to
quickly find and install a component.

All the talk I've heard here has been how to use various Web services
to make a "distributed" system look exactly like ... a centralized
one!  There's nothing evil or wrong about a centralized solution when
it's the right choice.

As far as creating a vibrant community goes, I think centralized
vs. decentralized is a bit of a red herring.  Certainly you want to
give people the ability to comment upon scripts, but whether that
happens in a central location or on someone's personal blog is
probably immaterial.  (Arguably it would be better on the central
location because you'd get more cross-fertilization between script
communities.)

-- Scott