[Greasemonkey] Suggestion: @min-version attribute

Simon Willison cs1spw at bath.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 12:13:03 EDT 2005

 From a comment on my blog:

http://simon.incutio.com/archive/2005/04/11/etiquette#comment7

"Is anyone else getting "GM_xmlhttprequest is undefined" with that
script? Also in response to Mark's comment , I think that the
del.icio.us api specifies that any page that hits delicious one time
per load is considered abusive. I think that would definitely apply in
this case."

The guy was running an older version of Greasemonkey. How about adding
an optional @min-version attribute which specifies the minimum
greasemonkey version required to use the script? That way, when a user
tries to install a script that their Greasemonkey version doesn't
support we can give them a warning.

We should keep it strictly optional, because scripts that don't use
things like GM_xmlhttprequest will run anywhere and their authors don't
even need to think about the greasemonkey version people are using.

Cheers,

Simon