[Greasemonkey] Long literal strings of html

Steve Krulewitz shooz at mm.st
Wed Apr 13 12:54:27 EDT 2005

Julien Couvreur wrote:
> Question: is there any similar trick in javascript that would allow
> putting long strings without having to care about escaping them?

One trick I used to use with Microsoft's implementation of JavaScript is
using a function as a container for a block of text.  The block of text
would be hidden in a comment, and when accessing the function name as a
variable the source of the function (including comment) will be
returned.  Something like:

function data() {
/*
Long block
of text goes
here
*/
}

Then by doing the proper data.substring() the text in the comment could
be extracted.  However, this does not seem to work in mozilla -- the
source is returned sans comments.

Maybe GM could pre-process the user scripts and find delimited blocks of
text that could be made accessible via some GM_* methods.  However, this
might be overkill for user scripts...

cheers,
-steve