[Greasemonkey] HTML cleanliness and standards

Julien Couvreur julien.couvreur at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 15:01:13 EDT 2005

Good read.
I posted recently about structured blocks that the browser could
handle in richer ways: http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/000232.html

It is sad that simple html markup isn't used properly (have you ever
seen an "address" element?). It makes me think that the chances of
microformats getting widespread are still quite low... On the other
hand, there is only a limited number of actors in the blog world (MT,
WordPress, Blogger, MSN, Yahoo,...), and they could make a
difference...
How do you sell this "proper markup" approach in an organisation like
MSN or Yahoo? What are the business incentives?

Anyways, I agree that for now we have to deal with less-than-perfect markup...
Is there any general approach to convert text blobs to more
mearningful data? Do AutoLink and SmartTags only use regexes?
Should GM include an AI engine for recognizing structure and patterns? ;-)

Cheers,
Julien

Tantek's "elements of meaningful XHTML" presentation (
http://tantek.com/presentations/2005/03/elementsofxhtml/ )