[Greasemonkey] HTML cleanliness and standards

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 18:34:37 EDT 2005

On 4/13/05, Julien Couvreur <julien.couvreur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good read.
> I posted recently about structured blocks that the browser could
> handle in richer ways: http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/000232.html
>
> It is sad that simple html markup isn't used properly (have you ever
> seen an "address" element?).

Why yes!  Apache's mod_autoindex module that generates directory
listings uses an address element for the Apache version footer.  But
your point stands.

> How do you sell this "proper markup" approach in an organisation like
> MSN or Yahoo? What are the business incentives?

Well this has the potential to digress into a long, painful
permathread about tables-vs-css, semantic markup, XHTML, and all kinds
of nasty stuff.  These discussions are what I miss the least since
giving up blogging.  Best references are

http://www.webstandards.org/learn/reference/web_standards_for_business.html
http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/
http://www.stopdesign.com/log/2002/10/11/finally_were_live.html
http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/archive/2003/06/espn-interview

> Should GM include an AI engine for recognizing structure and patterns? ;-)

No.  The DOM parser does an amazing job of dealing with crap markup
and putting it into usable form.  Lets concentrate on patterns that
traverse the DOM.

-Mark