[Greasemonkey] Removing a script

Julien Couvreur julien.couvreur at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:38:04 EDT 2005

I was thinking about the 500 char limit in IE urls (see restrictions
on bookmarklets) and the url limit in HTTP (see below). But you're
right, since the data: url isn't used for an HTTP request, it only
depends on the limits set by the browser (I'm still surprised that
Firefox doesn't have a limit on that buffer though ;-).

Phil Ringnalda wrote:
> And there's plenty of
> base64-encoding routines in JavaScript, free for the googling, if
> you're worried about escaping.

Used btoa() before, for my user script generator, works fine.

Cheers,
Julien
http://blog.monstuff.com/archives/images/GreaseMonkeyScriptGenerator.html

Quote from: http://mail-archives.eu.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-users/200212.mbox/%3C034e01c2a6c9$08290ae0$08071bce@WS4%3E

The HTTP RFC defines a 414 as Request-URI too long, but does not
specify what too long is.  IIRC, apache has a limit of 4k, and IE
won't even attempt to send more than 2040 (or
thereabouts [IIRC], it isn't a sane number) of urlencoded characters.

10.4.15 414 Request-URI Too Long

   The server is refusing to service the request because the Request-URI
   is longer than the server is willing to interpret. This rare
   condition is only likely to occur when a client has improperly
   converted a POST request to a GET request with long query
   information, when the client has descended into a URI "black hole" of
   redirection (e.g., a redirected URI prefix that points to a suffix of
   itself), or when the server is under attack by a client attempting to
   exploit security holes present in some servers using fixed-length
   buffers for reading or manipulating the Request-URI.