[Greasemonkey] HTML cleanliness and standards

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Fri Apr 15 17:46:52 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Julien Couvreur

On 4/14/05, Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think user scripts, as they become more popular and capable, will
> exert positive pressure that clueful web developers will respond to in
> the form of more obvious URL and DOM structures.

I would think if a more official/legitimate consumer of that information was
to emerge (say Google) it could have an impact. And even Google didn't make
that big of a dent with stuff like rel="nofollow".
But I would be suprised if GM actually did put any noticeable pressure on
website writers (except to try and make it *not* hackable) :-(

Julien,

I think you make an excellent point.  On one hand I have some concern that
there is too much money at stake and if user scripts catch on, sites that
depend on advertising may do what they can to undermine user scripts in any
number of ways.

On the other hand, I think there is a real opportunity for companies to
create free user scripts to promote their products.  Netflix could offer
scripts that extend their site into Amazon, IMDB (I know a script already
exists), Best Buy, etc.  For that matter, if an artist or album is mentioned
in the NY Times, Washington Post, etc.  Your favorite retailer could link
back to their site to buy.  By offering these to customers, they drive
customers back to their site and create greater value in subscribing to
their service.  It is unlikely that they can make deals with all of those
sites to add links to their site in the current world, but it would be easy
for them to offer user scripts that extend their reach into other sites.
I imagine this opens some interesting legal questions, but if the user
script phenomenon continues to grow, it is only a matter of time before some
smart marketers realizes what they can mean to her/his company and offers
them in an official or unofficial capacity.

How will site owners react? It is hard to say. IN a way, this is just a
natural progression of targeted marketing--only users are imitating who they
want to buy from and how.  That should result in much better sales than
other types of ads.  I suspect it will take a while for most marketing/sales
channels to understand and use this technology to their advantage.
Meanwhile, they will either ignore it, or fight it.

Michael