[Greasemonkey] unix users: is there an easy, cross-platform way to get the default editor?

Evan Martin evan.martin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 13:25:20 EDT 2005

> It seems to vary depending on the shell you use. And I'm not enough of
> a unix user to know if it varies additionally depending on the distro
> you use.

There is $EDITOR but that typically requires being run in a terminal.

In general, filetype associations are considered policy that's done
atop unix.  So, if there's a system-configured editor, it depends
primarily on which policy-providing system you're using.  (For
example, the very concept of a "default editor" doesn't make sense on
systems that don't have icons you click on.)

Your best bet is probably to provide a UI for typing in the command.