[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Matthew Gertner matthew at allpeers.com
Mon Apr 18 12:49:39 EDT 2005

Hi,

Thought this might be of interest to some. I started out writing an essay
about how XML has totally failed in its original goal (so far), which was
mainly to provide technically sound underpinnings for an extensible web
before half-assed HTML-based methods got too much traction. Greasemonkey
ended up being very prominent in my thought processes, so I tied in the
whole "history of markup" thing with what I feel are the implications of
Greasemonkey in this context. I went as far as to make a proposal for how
the fragility of Greasemonkey scripts could be addressed, at least
partially, by letting website owners explicitly opt-in and opt-out of
specific versions of specific scripts.

The essay can be found here:
http://www.allpeers.com/blog/essays/greasemonkey.htm.

Cheers,