[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Terry Lurie tezza2k1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 17:27:05 EDT 2005

> I've never felt so empowered as
> a programmer.

If you have a purely web focus.

>On the other hand, I want to make sure that we don't see this
> as the be-all and end-all because all the things that are cool about GM
> would be *so much cooler* if there were more structured content around to
> consume. I'm thinking very hard about how we can accelerate this process now
> that we have GM, so hopefully I'll have more to say about this soon.

Hmm, I see GM as a *great* tool for 'structured content apologists'
such as you clearly are. Perhaps you're thinking a little too Human
Interaction oriented. With GM, you can tailor the data you receive.
Because Firefox has so much leverage now, sites will be tested on it.
So you should get consistent data to firefox. then GM can
transparently transform this to whatever XML-Schema-DTD, Strict
Validation scenario you desire. This will be more as an intermediate
step.

Previously in a batch fashion, you could use wget/curl or lynx even as
the User Agent. But they never had javascript DOM, so you could only
use it on sites that behaved. Soon, you'll be able to use GreaseMonkey
and Firefox in a 'headless' fashion. That is, without the Human
Interaction I mentioned previously.  For example, to help visually
impaired people, all the altruists out there can 'standardise'
troublesome sites.

>From the commandline you would do something like:

firefox-client --withGreaseMonkey textifyJavascriptLinks.user.js
"http://www.javascriptnavigationonly.com/" | lynx --dictate -

GM would have to stabilise. Someone will need to work on
firefox-client, a barebones GM execution environment. No bookmarks, no
UI and capability to render UI in memory if truly necessary to
accomplish the task.

> Oh, and please try to work some more poultry-related aphorisms into your
> reponse! :-)

Thank heavens for dictionary.reference.com ;)