[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:40:49 EDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/18/05, Matthew Gertner <matthew at allpeers.com> wrote:
> > The essay can be found here:
> > http://www.allpeers.com/blog/essays/greasemonkey.htm.
>
> If Greasemonkey makes any overtures towards allowing web publishers to
> "opt out" or override my browsing experience in any way, I will
> immediately fork it and make it my life's mission to maintain the fork
> as long as possible.

C'mon, Mark, how do you really feel?  :)

Actually, I agree with your position, but am perhaps less
militaristic.  For example, I think that user scripts which make
cross-domain requests should identify themselves as user scripts with
agent strings in those requests.

It's a bit too easy to write a punishingly noisome script, as Udell
demonstrated.