[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Terry Lurie tezza2k1 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 18:54:31 EDT 2005

> miss my point. My point is that HTML is not designed to be processed in this
> way on a large scale. Its internal structure simply cannot be relied on if
> you're redistributing scripts to a lot of people. Yes, sites will be tested
> on Firefox, but they won't be tested against every script available on
> http://dunck.us/collab/GreaseMonkeyUserScripts.

Okay. But GM is useful where the data is not to spec.

Further, I think your  "tested against every script available" hints
that you would like some sort of interoperability panacea. Good in
principle, difficult in practice.

A few of my mates are doing post doctoral work at Cambridge Computer
Science. They are actively working on this panacea. They don't use
greasemonkey. They use prolog, mercury and Cocoon. I think that's a
better starting point for your ideas too.

GM is not that panacea you talk of. It is an extremely useful tool for
augmenting what is currently available.