[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:07:34 EDT 2005

Let's not fork GM yet. We've got what -- like 12 users or something?
Can't we all get along?

Matt, I wanted to reply, but truth is I'm not as good a writer as you.

I think you're longing for something which might never be. I can
imagine the pain you're feeling, because I've been there too!

Authors adding rich semantic meaning to markup is awesome in a void.
Who doesn't like the idea of  rich metadata to build applications on
top of? The problem is that once these semantics have an economic
incentive tied to them (read: search result position) they will
instantly become abused, and so, nearly worthless.Author-supplied
semantics might never happen on  a commercial web.

Back on topic, I'm somewhat loathe to add the feataure you suggest,
though it does sound like a good one. As i understand it, content
authors could defeat a particular script by setting it's required
version to javascript's Number.MAX_VALUE + 1.

Also, all this talk about versioning indicates - to me - a desire to
bring stability and robustness to something which cannot be. As you
have stated, GM scripts (site-specific ones, at least -- * scripts do
not suffer from this as much) are inherently fragile since they are
not build on top of a contract. That's OK with me. I'm not looking for
something rock-solid. I want scripts to be so easy to edit, for the
user script language (javascript+HTML hopefully) to be so well-known,
it becomes like shell scripting. The lingua franca of power users.

You don't try to make your grep pattern super robust because if it
screws up you just change it. It's faster to revise than to plan.

At the same time, I also wish there were more robust form of
customization. I think the bigger barrier to that is politics and
laws, not technology. If all GM does is get people thinking about
their content being repurposed and allow a few hackers to fix some
annoying bugs, I'm OK with that.

--
Aaron