[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Mon Apr 18 11:07:47 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Evan Martin

On 4/18/05, Matthew Gertner <matthew at allpeers.com> wrote:
> Thought this might be of interest to some. I started out writing an
> essay about how XML has totally failed in its original goal (so far),
> which was mainly to provide technically sound underpinnings for an
> extensible web before half-assed HTML-based methods got too much
> traction. Greasemonkey

The whole point of Greasemonkey is that you're fixing websites that the site
owners got wrong in the first place.  The very fact we use something like
Greasemonkey means these people don't get it already.

MB> I think that's overly simplistic.  Many if not most GM user scripts are
angled at getting it right in ways that are very subjective and aesthetic,
and have nothing to with proper application of standards or information
architecture.  To me, GM is mostly about empowering users to make better use
of sites by giving them some control over what is displayed, where, and how.
I've yet to see any user script that converts HTML tables into XML. ;^)

You wish they'd produce XML, and I wish they'd just not produce stupid
sites.  Which one of those is easier to achieve?

MB> Good question. Personally I don't see GM motivating sites to move to XML
workflows.  They will do that when it makes sense for their own purposes.

Michael