[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Matthew Gertner matthew at allpeers.com
Mon Apr 18 20:42:51 EDT 2005

Terry,

> Further, I think your  "tested against every script available" hints
> that you would like some sort of interoperability panacea. Good in
> principle, difficult in practice.
>
> A few of my mates are doing post doctoral work at Cambridge Computer
> Science. They are actively working on this panacea. They don't use
> greasemonkey. They use prolog, mercury and Cocoon. I think that's a
> better starting point for your ideas too.
>
> GM is not that panacea you talk of. It is an extremely useful tool for
> augmenting what is currently available.
>
> http://cocoon.apache.org/
> http://www.swi-prolog.org/
> http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/

When I'm not ranting on mailing lists, I am working full-time on exactly
this "panacea" (in quotes because obviously nothing ever really is one). I
believe vehemently that GM is hinting at a real need that can be addressed
in the longer term in a very elegant, powerful and extensible manner. In the
meantime, I'm just hypothesizing that GM might have some negative impact as
well as positive, and wondering outloud how we can address this.

The architecture you describe sounds a bit too academia-oriented for
widespread adoption, however. We're focused on using XML, C++ and...
Firefox.

Matt