[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Matthew Gertner matthew at allpeers.com
Mon Apr 18 20:58:12 EDT 2005

Evan,

> The whole point of Greasemonkey is that you're fixing websites that
> the site owners got wrong in the first place.  The very fact we use
> something like Greasemonkey means these people don't get it already.

As Michael points out, the notion of "wrong" is not so clear cut, although
I'd be surprised if the existence of various GM scripts doesn't motivate a
lot of more progress websites to make changes to their pages.

> You wish they'd produce XML, and I wish they'd just not produce stupid
> sites.  Which one of those is easier to achieve?

To me these are the same thing. It isn't about "stupid sites", it's about
giving users more flexibility to repurpose content. In my mind this can be
achieved best using XML. This may sound very pie-in-the-sky, but look at
RSS, which does exactly that and is quite successful.

Matt