[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: an Historical Perspective

Phil Ringnalda philringnalda at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 13:57:21 EDT 2005

On 4/18/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Amazon hijacker series was an experiment in tactics and
> countertactics.  I wanted to see how far GM could go to defeat anti-GM
> scripts, and vice-versa.  To my surprise, I discovered a one-line hack
> to disable GM altogether.  As far as I know, this hack still works in
> 0.3.  I published the hack and the entire experiment, and I continue
> to draw attention to it, in the hopes that a future version of GM will
> defeat it.

Whether or not it works in GM 0.3 doesn't really matter; what matters
is whether or not it works in FF 1.0.3 - that whole bunch of noise
about extensions possibly breaking, and security, and not letting
content touch chrome's DOM view, and people needing to go back and
rewrite extensions that will run in pre-1.0.3 to use XPCNativeWrapper?
That was aimed right straight at your disabler (whether or not they
knew it was).

Web sites may always be able to disable a script by morphing their DOM
to duck an XPath expression, but if content can actually prevent
chrome from accessing something, then it's a Firefox bug.

Phil Ringnalda