[Greasemonkey] Ethical XMLHTTPRequest

Brady Joslin brady.joslin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:34:40 EDT 2005

>Okay... and what'll happen when we bring that network down? Will they
>be willing to invest in their network because Greasemonkey userscripts
>are causing so much traffic?

Check out their testimonials, most people use Coral for large video
and image files:
http://wiki.coralcdn.org/wiki.php/Main/Testimonials

Most notably they brag:
leoville.tv podcasts (over 1TB/month)

I remember Coral was on /. a while back and there was a debate on
whether it could be used to avoid the /. effect.  Anyway, I'm sure
they can answer some questions if you shoot an email on their mailing
list:
http://www.coralcdn.org/lists/

I'll be knee deep in finals for the next two weeks so I'll be unable
to do any further investigation on this for a bit, but hopefully this
helps.  I think the simple fact is that Coral, from their website, is
asking to be bombarded with traffic to protect the website owner.
Delicious and similar services clearly do not want to be hit with such
a large volume.

Greasemonkey is a great tool, but it is likely to piss a large number
of people off if it gets popular.  Website owners typically don't want
to lose control of their site to users in this way and folks offering
REST services don't want to be brought to their knees.  An evaluation
of best practices for responsible scripting is likely a worthy
discussion.

Brady

On 4/19/05, Mark Wubben <markwubben at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay... and what'll happen when we bring that network down? Will they
> be willing to invest in their network because Greasemonkey userscripts
> are causing so much traffic?

Brady Joslin