[Greasemonkey] ANN: Chicago Transit Authority map on Google Maps

Paul Roub paul at roub.net
Tue Apr 19 11:38:36 EDT 2005

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Jeremy Dunck wrote:
> It offends my sense of elegance, if nothing else!  Hard-coding data
> into scripts violates a long list of good software engineering
> principles.  Of course, scripts are kind of hacky to begin with... :-)

Wondering how hard it would be to stuff this all in a
greasemonkey-specific extension -- e.g. an XPI that contained the user
script, and the associated data as part of the chrome content.  It's
compressed, it's local, it's separate from the page's DOM.

The only missing piece is a way to load the user script from chrome://
into Greasemonkey.  A standard path/naming convention which GM could
search might handle that.

Of course, this flies in the face of the lightweight, no-install nature of
GM scripts we know and love.

-paul