[Greasemonkey] Greasemonkey: a futurist perspective

Neil Kandalgaonkar neilk at brevity.org
Tue Apr 19 10:42:05 EDT 2005

Matthew, I think you're concerned about something that isn't going to
happen. You seem to feel that generic ways to extend website
functionality are right around the corner, and GM is pre-empting this.

I see it the other way around. Today, few people understand the benefits
of a user-hackable web. No matter how good a framework you created,
you'd find few takers. GM makes the benefits (and perils) obvious.

For the typical HTML site, there is very little that GM can do to
improve the experience. Essentially, every modification that GM does has
to be within the website owner's data model already.

But sites that have a service orientation, like Flickr or Google Maps,
will prosper in this new world. Other website owners will start to
notice this very soon -- the big players have already.

And then the day will come when someone revamps their website and gets a
storm of complaints from users who used GM to provide some essential
function. It will make people think about providing stable interfaces.

You're right: this is a moment to be agitating for a new vision of the
web. But I think GM is your ally here, not your enemy.

Aaron Boodman wrote:
> If all GM does is get people thinking about
> their content being repurposed and allow a few hackers to fix some
> annoying bugs, I'm OK with that.

Amen.

--
Neil Kandalgaonkar