[Greasemonkey] user script --> extensions

Aaron Boodman zboogs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:43:58 EDT 2005

This is something which has been brought up a couple times, Neil, even
before GM existed ;-), and will probably continue to be.

I think that extensions are just too heavy weight and cumbersome for
what I want to create userscripts  to solve. The difference is not
huge, but it's there, and significant.

But a tool to convert a userscript into an extension should take about
2 hours to write and would be useful. *hint, Adrian ;-)*

I think we're trying to stay well on the sane side of the reinvention
line. Jeremy's repository is significantly different than extension
room, and optimized heavily for user scripts. Same story with storage.
Yes, you *can* do local storage in an extension. Have you ever tried
it? Suffice to say it's a *bit* more complex than:

prefMan.setValue("key", "value");

;-)

--
Aaron