[Greasemonkey] When is a user script too complex? (was: ANN: Chicago Transit ...)

Julien Couvreur julien.couvreur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 11:58:31 EDT 2005

The simplicity of writing a GM script is definitely a key to success.
We shouldn't have any kind of imposed packaging (xpi, zip) to deliver
the script.
On the other hand, if we can support more moderately complex scripts
(injects HTML, has it's own resources or help page), while still
keeping things easy for newcomers I think we should do it.

If we decide to support some form of long literal strings as discussed
in an other thread, we still keep the "1 script = 1 file", and we open
many possibilities.
Instead of having to explain how to package files into a zip, we'd
have a tool or webpage that can help you generate the "literal
section" of your script if you need to include a whole directory of
binary images (too tedious to do by hand using the hixie conversion
tool).

Cheers,
Julien