[Greasemonkey] user script --> extensions

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:04:05 EDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Neil Kandalgaonkar <neilk at brevity.org> wrote:
> > I think that extensions are just too heavy weight and cumbersome for
> > what I want to create userscripts  to solve. The difference is not
> > huge, but it's there, and significant.
>
> Oh yeah. GM has enabled a new class of authors to extend
> Mozilla/Firefox. Three lines of javascript and BAM!
>
> I'm not yet sure if there's an audience for an extension-izer... I might
> try turning Lickr into an extension, just to see.

I'd like to use it to turn Butler into a customizable extension.
(Yes, I've seen http://www.customizegoogle.com/ , which is a cool way
of getting around the fact that GM is single-script limited.  I still
want a local GUI.)

> I've wanted to do Mozilla extensions for years. Just never had the steam
> to do so until GM came along.

Ditto.

GM obviously fills a niche.  Let's keep it there, then make other
tools that help people climb out of that niche as the need arises.

-Mark