[Greasemonkey] user script --> extensions

Julien Couvreur julien.couvreur at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:16:37 EDT 2005

On 4/19/05, Mark Pilgrim <pilgrim at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to use it to turn Butler into a customizable extension.
> (Yes, I've seen http://www.customizegoogle.com/ , which is a cool way
> of getting around the fact that GM is single-script limited.  I still
> want a local GUI.)

Now that GM supports local data persistence, you can do a lot more
customization, while still not needing a full extension.
You mention the problem of local GUI. The browser is already very
loaded in terms of menus, configuration tabs,... Do you really need a
configuration menu for Google Butler when you're not visiting a Google
Did you consider the solutions involving embeding your config into the
website? I think that approach is more user friendly and saves

Some options:
1) For the MSDN Language Filter, there is enough empty room on the
page and the config is simple enough that I was able to embed it in
the web page.
2) Another approach that I haven't seen yet would be to hook up in the
web site's preference page, or add your own "Google Butler preference"
link. In your case, you could add options to the Google preference
page: http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=en
3) Another option (that I like the least) would be to use a menu
command to start a config page (using a popup with UI embedded in the
user script?).