[Greasemonkey] Dealing with spam on the wiki

Bill Donnelly donnelly at snowcrest.net
Wed Apr 20 13:06:12 EDT 2005

What about one of those images of a code you have to enter
to make the entry valid. That would be the best solution, imo.
Especially if the code was short instead of long. There's no
good reason to make it more than two characters afaik.
I hate typing 5- to 8-character codes. Major overkill.

A simple version of the above is to have 36 (or so) small
images of letters/numbers with two chosen for display and
a required entry of them in a text box. This way you don't
have to generate the special code image. You just have to
name the images in such a way as it isn't evident which is
which. That is, don't start "A" as "image1.png" and have
"B" as "image2.png", etc. Although even that may not be
that big of a deal. Unless too many sites start using this
spam-blocker method, and then they might write code around it.
I have an idea to "fix" that, though, as well.

Another similar option is available using thumbnail-sized
images and radio buttons or checkboxes. This is an original
idea on my part, if not unique, and I haven't seen it
implemented anywhere, but I would like it better than the
code entry solution. And it is "easier" because you don't
have to generate the special code image, and it can be
created with simple PHP, or even JS, I think.
Although it is language-specific, such as English, but
that is okay. This is also work-aroundable, as well.
Let me know if you want to try this.