[Greasemonkey] Long literal strings of html

Edward Lee edilee at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:59:30 EDT 2005

> The percolation sorta ended with "this is a huge hack, and it's not a
> big need (for me)". But if you guys really really want it, submit a
> patch. As long as it doesn't break something, it can go in.

Would the "getself" version not be as much of a hack? I agree that
parsing for special comments is a big hack, but providing the script
its own code isn't really a hack in itself but allows the hacks to be
more easily implemented in user scripts.

var scriptContents = getContents(getScriptChrome(script.filename));

... runBrowserScript(...
var GM_log..
var GM_getSelf = (function(contents) { return function() { return
contents; }; }) (scriptContents.replace(/\r/g, "\\r").replace(/\n/g,

I modified that from what I implemented for my own GM_getString(). Do
other things need to be escaped? Also the function stuff just puts the
contents variable somewhere instead of creating it each time getself
is called.

--
Ed