[Greasemonkey] Feature suggestion: backup/reload user-scripts to/from a "user script list" file

Jeremy Dunck jdunck at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 10:07:33 EDT 2005

On 4/20/05, Julien Couvreur <julien.couvreur at gmail.com> wrote:
> Suggestion is to make a new file format that lists urls for user
> script. Upon opening that "user script list" file, all the scripts
> would be installed silently.

Let's call it HTML.  We could have a command where "Install All User
Scripts..." could run through URLs on the current page and for each
one that would show "Install User Script..." (which is currently URL
ending with ".user.js"), go ahead an install it.

I like this way because that'll encourage people to say "I like all
these scripts" and let other people say "neat, lemme try" easily.  And
we don't have to write a new parser.

> Additionally, if we support loading such a file, we could have a way
> to backup/export a current install by generating that file.

Yeah, I think someone could make an XSLT and wire it to the config.xml.

> The config.xml file would be fine for that, except that it doesn't
> seem to store the url where the script was originally downloaded from.
> Having the "source url" in the config.xml would also be useful as a
> unique user script identifier and for monitoring updates.

Agree.  Reasons -not- to store source URL in config.xml?