[Greasemonkey] Bloglines Tweaks User Script

Mihai Parparita mihai.parparita at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 15:59:02 EDT 2005

I've fixed both of the issues you mention (escaping and ending up with
zero selected nodes). I've also made the script slightly smarter about
snippet words that occur inside HTML tags.

Note that A Whole Lotta Nothing is not a good test case for this
script, since its feed already contains full article content.
Zeldman's doesn't work as well either, since his summaries are a bit
too cryptic and don't refer to the entire article. The expansion
algorithm will probably have to get a lot smarter. Rather than simply
looking for words that occur in the snippet, it should use that as a
seed, and then find more DOM nodes with the same tag name, CSS class,
etc (i.e. once it finds an article paragraph, it should find the rest
as well).

On 4/24/05, Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I confess, I don't understand what this line is trying to do:
>       var parent = matches[i].parentNode;

matches[i] refers to the dummy <word> node that I use to find the
snippet word in the article text. The dummy node itself is not very
useful, which is why I want its parent (usually, its enclosing
paragraph, though inline tags like anchors, bold, etc. may throw that
off).

Miahi