[Greasemonkey] Changing HMTLTitleElement

Michael Bierman greasemonkey at thebiermans.net
Mon Apr 25 14:25:38 EDT 2005

Jason,

Perhaps you will find this helpful.

http://www.thebiermans.net/GreaseMonkey/Title%20Scrubber.user.js

Michael

  _____

From: jason brackins

Hi all,

I am trying to change the title of the page my script is running in. The
page in question is a wiki and it puts the least specific info first in the
title element. So you might have "Wiki Site Name - Current Page name" as the
title. Since I tend to have 10-15 tabs opened when I'm using this particular
wiki it would be really nice to swap the two parts.

It's easy to do if you just want the change reflected in the DOM (as viewed
with the DOM inspector). But the change never makes it to the title bar of
the window (and therefor not the tab label).

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is even possible. After all, the label
on the window picks up the Title element and sets itself long before the
page finishes loading. Since the window label is outside of the DOM the
javascript can't get to it directly. I was hoping Firefox would notice the
change in the DOM and react accordingly, but no joy. Anybody have any ideas?

thanks.
---
btw, using FF 1.0.3, Greasemonkey 0.2.6, windows 98

my code looks like this:

function changeTitle() {
var ptitle = document.getElementsByTagName("title")[0];
    var titleComponents = ptitle.innerHTML.split(' - ');
    ptitle.textContent = titleComponents[1]+' - '+titleComponents[0];
}

--

Jason Brackins